Saturday, September 08, 2007

Surprise, surprise...



Nearly two years ago when we began our research into straw bale building, we noticed that there seemed to be a theme of increased fertility and little "surprises" along the way amongst the straw bale owner-builders we visited and spoke with. And...it seems we're no exception. Our little "surprise" (and it was a surprise) is due in February, so we're incredibly inspired to finish this house *immediately*!

Tomorrow, we'll be plastering fiends in hopes of making good progress. We have a lot of "fill coat" work to do on the inside with our clay-dirt plaster before we can apply a final lime plaster coat. Once we're done our plaster work, we've only the floors to finish, and the porch/patio floor to install. We're so close, but yet so far...

Volunteers welcome!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys! From one adventure right into another! Oh, and trust me I know, babies and house building are not as incompatible as you might think. They make the most adorable little trowels these days.

8:34 AM  
Blogger artyclayforever said...

Congratulations of your "little" surprise....I'm not sure I wrote and said that!!!!! I've just come from a baby shower for Dee Stubbs Lee....a bountiful time all over saint John.

7:11 PM  
Blogger artyclayforever said...

Not sure I said CONGRATULATIONS to you both on your "little" surprise. Increased fertility indeed!!!! Must be all that rolling around in straw!!!! I just came from a baby shower for Mrs Lee!!!! I am happy for all of you!!! Hi to your parents.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious? Is there really a pattern of increased pregnancy? What is it, the confluence of nesting? The straw? What a wonderful metaphor.

8:09 AM  
Blogger greenspree said...

Hi,

I am from PEI and my wife and I are building our own strawbale home this fall. We are getting our bales the middle of next week and have been trying to get some stucco consultant help from Kim Thompson but have had traouble getting hold of her.

Would it be possible to correspond with you about your experiences? you can visit our project pages at greenspree.ca (there are posts about the project on the main page and a link to a specific page at the top called "the shire")

Thanks and good luck finishing your house!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Hi Andy C,

Yes, absolutely. Email me: karawiggins@yahoo.ca

1:12 PM  
Blogger StrawBoss said...

Congratulations! How exciting, babies are wonderful. I wish youo all much happiness.

Judy

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

YAY!!!!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
I just back from the UK where I took a strawbale building course. Am interested to know how your project is coming along and I would be happy to help if I could. I am looking into building a straw house as well. any poniters and info on where to get things in NS would be great to know. my contact is zingfin@hotmail.com
cheerio

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscription Services:

RSS Feed Subscribe to Stonehouse Strawhouse.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Add to My Yahoo!
Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!